Every April and October, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints spend a weekend at home to listen to the words of their world-wide leaders online or on TV, instead of going to their local church buildings. It’s a weekend of spiritual nourishment, guidance for modern-day issues, and personal inspiration. Everyone is welcome to tune in to the free, worldwide conference by going to www.lds.org. I look forward to it every six months and feel motivated to be better afterward. I invite anyone reading this to listen in a for at least a bit, you’ll be glad you did!
Being at home together, of course, calls for yummy food. When there is lots of good food, everyone is happier, right? Here is a round-up of healthy snacks from around the web and my own blog. As always, all the recipes have NO sugar, NO oil, and are 100% vegan.
1. Popcorn. Either salted or covered in melted peanut butter and honey, like in this recipe, here.
2. Hummus with pita bread wedges and veggies. You could try my green chili hummus if you’re ready for something new.
3. Brownie Bites. Only 3 ingredients, 5 minutes to make, and richer-than-rich.
4. Healthy chocolate chip cookies (or just cookie dough!) makes a very fun snack. We also love this recipe for a Deep Dish Cookie Pie for a special treat. Does it get any better than chocolate chip cookie anything?!
5. Black Bean Salsa. Super flavorful and delicious!
7. Vegan Nachos–cashew queso, fat-free refined beans, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, pickled jalapenos, guacamole. I could eat this kind of food every day!
9. Avocado White Bean Wraps—delicious! Slice into little pinwheels to share.
10. Chocolate Hummus with strawberries, apple slices, banana slices, or whole wheat pretzels.
If you like to do a traditional conference breakfast, waffles or pancakes are always fun. Zucchini lemon pancakes with blueberry syrup, pumpkin pancakes with apple syrup, apple pancakes with maple syrup…so many fall options!
For a late-night treat, you might like to try my favorite quick treat: Nice Cream! We love these ideas from Chocolate Covered Katie (especially the mint chocolate chip) and also this peanut butter chocolate nice cream. Go put some ripe bananas in the freezer right now, just in case you want to make this soon!
Happy Conference weekend everyone!